- About Us
- Our Work
- Related Features
- How to Help Us
- Pub Walks
Churchill Heritage Centre
The Churchill Old Church Preservation Society was formed in 1988 in an attempt to save the old medieval church in the village which had fallen into disrepair and was threatened with demolition. The church itself was abandoned in 1826 when the new All Saints’ Church was completed.
Some £30,000 was raised initially through fund raising and grants which was used to carry out essential repairs. But having saved the old church, the question remained as to what use the newly restored building could be put.
It was decided that a new heritage centre for Churchill and Sarsden would be created and permanently located in the building. In 2001, the Churchill and Sarsden Heritage Centre opened. In particular, it was decided to dedicate much of its attentions to the parish’s two most eminent sons, Warren Hastings, first Governor-General of India and William Smith, known as the father of modern-day geology. The role of James Langston, the village squire, is also portrayed.
In 2010, the Heritage Centre started work on a new project in which interactive screens were installed to tell visitors about the villages’ histories. While a grant was made by the Heritage Lottery Fund, a shortfall still existed and the Friends of the Cotswolds responded with a grant of £500 and are delighted to have been able to support this highly worthwhile project. The Heritage Centre re-opens to visitors on 2nd April 2011 and the FoC wishes every success to those concerned.